1. Go for a walk. The last thing I want to do when it’s rainy, cold and miserable outside is to go for a walk. But sometimes it can be exactly what is needed to clear my muddled head. Staying cooped up inside for long periods of time definitely starts to play on my emotions and sometimes it takes a simple walk and fresh air to de-stress and see things a little more clearly. So bundle up warm and go for a swift walk, before coming back to a cosy house and hot drink.
2. Adult colouring books. I wasn’t sure if they were going to be my cup of tea but the simple act of colouring can really help you to unwind and forces you to take some time away from any screens. You can get amazing adult colouring books these days too, I have a Harry Potter one, a Mindfulness one and even a sloth one!
3. A hot bubble bath. My absolute favourite way to unwind in the winter months. Throw in as many bath bombs and bubble bath as you want, lie back and treat ya self! A shout out to the Radox bubble bath range, which are only £1 and wonderful!
4. Pamper yourself. My favourite way to pamper myself is to do a face mask. I normally pick up the £1 packet ones from Boots and they are a cheap way to feel like you are having a luxurious pamper.
5. Free write. I put aside ten or so minutes and dedicate it to writing down whatever is inside my head on to paper. It doesn’t matter how random it is, sometimes dedicating time to get the things out of your head and on to paper can really help to clear your head.
6. Fresh flowers. I find having fresh flowers and plants around the house can help to brighten up and cheer up your home in the winter months.
7. Hearty and healthy meals. My boyfriend has started becoming quite the chef, which is hundred per cent fine with me! He has been cooking slimming world meals which have been so comforting and hearty yet you know they aren’t too bad for you. Perfect for keeping your belly warm in the winter months.
8. Snuggle up with a good book. Again, another one of my favourite things to do on a winter evening. It’s another way to spend time away from any screens and getting stuck into a good book is a great way to relax. Sometimes it’s hard to find the time to dedicate to reading and getting started can be the hardest part. I find if I try and read at least ten pages a day I don’t see it as a too daunting commitment. I normally read just before bed and then find I always carry on reading past those ten pages anyway.
9. Yoga. Its really hard to drag yourself to the gym or to classes in winter, so if you do I salute you! I find it much easier to commit to a home exercise program and yoga videos from the ‘Yoga with Adrienne’ YouTube channel are my favourite. All you need is a towel and a Wi-Fi connection and you’re away.
10. Have a good ole’ spring clean. I have been clearing out my wardrobe in January and just started clearing out the spare room which I can hopefully turn into a little office. Winter is the perfect time to spend decluttering so you can go into the spring months with a clear head and a lighter feeling.
I hope this helped with some inspiration to enjoy the last few months of winter before the days start getting longer and lighter……yay!
Thanks for reading!
Please share any ways you love to de-stress in the comments below x